2.26.2007

johnny's valentine

We got home from the grocery store saturday and there was a doorknob hangtag from a fancy florist with Johnny's name on it saying they were sorry they missed her. I knew I didn't send her flowers, although I wish I had, so I had to 'fess up and not take the credit. she called up there and they couldn't tell her who sent them, so she just rescheduled delivery for today. neither of us would be home during the day, so she said they could leave them on the porch.

We spent a lot of time trying to guess where they were from. I thought maybe her mom had sent them. She thought they were from me. I guessed that maybe The Goddess sent them. She thought they were from me.

She called me at work saying that the florist wasn't going to leave them on the porch to freeze in the cold, after all, and could I call and have them brought to my work? Yes, I said, I'll do that. I call. I keep checking the door. I give a heads-up to the person at the front door.

Johnny calls back and says she knows who they are from.

Who? I say.

The Refectory.

What? The Refectory, like the restaurant we went to last weekend for our anniversary? Why would they send you flowers?

Obviously, I'm not convinced, but you know, whatever.

A few hours later Johnny calls back saying that the flowers have finally arrived and I should go to the desk and get them. I go, they aren't there.

[My current workplace is pretty confusing, logistically. You have to actually go to the back of the building to get to the entrance.]

I finally find out where they are, I go pick them up.

Not only did we get flowers from the restaurant, we got a $25 gift certificate AND a bottle of wine!

I couldn't figure it out, then she reminded me that we had to push our reservation back 1/2 hour and she'd asked them if they were going to make it up to us or something.

I say they did! Lesson learned: if you go eat at a fancy place, find something to complain about.

No comments: