4.02.2007

a new twist on "watch what you eat"

I've been listening to this really fascinating podcast series from Princeton's Food Ethics and the Environment conference.

Today, in part 3, I learned that a person who normally gets about a third of their calories from red meat (average for most Americans) is responsible for 2.5 times the greenhouse gases (created during production) when compared with a vegan person. This is roughly the equivalent of the difference between driving a SUV versus a Camry.

Simply amazing. I'd highly recommend the series for anyone who likes some background education during their workday. Or even at home.

4 comments:

Noelle said...

yeah, really interesting stuff -- Cows are huge land-rapers. I recommend reading 'Diet for A Small Planet' or it's more-recent counterpart 'Hope's Edge: The Next Diet for a Small Planet' -- the Lappe women do a great job of breaking down global food-rearing issues. Thanks for the tip on this Podcast -- I do believe I will begin listening!

Unknown said...

I went to this STS conference and one speaker talked about global warming and showed us this http://poststop.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/global_warming_map.gif and I thought of you.

dj love said...

i miss you dewey
oh where or where are you?

Bevin said...

Where you is?

http://technabob.com/blog/2007/04/10/the-hamster-powered-paper-shredder/