6.26.2006

The Crescent City

This place has lots of nicknames.

I've been going to meetings and what-not, but I've really enjoyed meeting lots of people around at happy hours and special events. Yesterday, I went to a special event at one of the branch libraries out on St. Charles St. I started speaking with this woman on the bus. She works at one of the local hotels. In the hurricane, she came out unscathed, but most of her neighbors lost everything. She said that this has enabled her to help other people. She gives away money, clothing, prayers, time...anything she has. She said it was great that the librarians were in town, because they need it, and that we should all try and take a trip up to the 9th Ward because dead people are STILL being found up there. She said anyone who comes here should go see it. I asked about public buses in that area, and she said that the worst of it isn't on the main roads because the main roads tend to be a little higher.

I got to the branch library a little early, so I struck up a conversation with the librarian there. She is originally from Akron (Ohio) and she and her husband lost everything in the hurricane. She lives in a FEMA trailer while they try to rebuild their house. She said she's evacuated about 15 times in the 20 years they've lived here, but usually for "no reason." Luckily, they decided to go anyway, but she said she could never imagine what it was like to lose everything she had. She got laid off for a while and then rehired. She has her pet rabbit and guinea pig living at the library because there isn't any room in the trailer for them.

They hold tours people can take to the devastated areas. I have mixed feelings because I think people should be able to go, but to make it tourist-y seems wrong to me. The librarian said that buses will come by their house while they are working and they'll stop and take pictures. I don't think I'll go on one of those, so I don't know if I'll make it to the areas I need to go. I want to ask the concierge about the public bus, but I feel awkward about that too.

It's a very sensitive time, but people are still drinking, partying and throwing beads off the balcony. I guess after all this, New Orleans still permits you to have whatever kind of experience you want to have.

No comments: