6.30.2006

Themes

Last night my sweetheart and I were watching The Big Easy, an 80's classic starring Dennis Quaid (not Randy) and Ellen Barkin, set in New Orleans.

Ellen is really pissed at Dennis for a good portion of the movie and I kept wondering why. It just didn't make sense. Johnny pretty much summed it up by asking, "Did we get smarter since the 80s? Did the nation actually increase it's IQ since then?"

Then, after an especially thrilling scene where Dennis sports his non-authentic accent and Ellen wears a bag-dress, she called 80s people "simpletons."

Eighties simpletons. That would make a great theme party. Maybe J. Gordon's next party could be an 80's simpleton toga prom?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I remember about that film (I saw it when it came out!) was how doggone sexy Dennis Quaid is! I haven't like Ellen Barkin since she was in some horrible film where she and some guy ended up swapping bodies for some stupid reason, and her character was intolerable. I guess I blame her for what was probably bad writing + her bad decision for being in the film to start with. Sorry to sidestep the New Orleans topic!

dj love said...

i think the movie was called "switch" and while problematic, i think she (which is really a guy in her body, but whatevs) kicks it with lorraine bracco (who plays dr. malfi on the sopranos). i remember being excited about seeing two women almost getting together in a mainstream movie. i wonder what year that movie came out?

Anonymous said...

I was going to post a rec for Down By Law, too. It's got more of a NOLA feel than any other movie I've seen, though there's a lot of swamp scenes, too.