6.27.2006

N'awlins

I'm on my way out and thought I'd create a little list.

Things I didn't do while in New Orleans:

    Show my skin for some cheap beads.
    Take advantage of the lack of open container law.
    Fall asleep immediately after I got into bed.
    Eat a po-boy.
    Adjust to the time change.
    Take the ferry to Algiers ("The real home of Mardi Gras")
    Wear sensible shoes.
    Go to Emeril's.
    Attend a General Session.


Things I did do while in New Orleans:

    Drank and ate seafood every day.
    Shepherded a cricket out of my hotel room (twice).
    Listened to Howl-at-the-Moon (across the street) until I was forced to wear earplugs.
    Went to an incredibly cool jazz bar called Fritzl's.
    Saw nearly everyone that I knew was going to be here, some I didn't expect and made some new friends.
    Went to Cafe Du Monde and tried the chicory cafe au lait and beignets (dude.)
    Learned that Loyola and Tulane are literally across the street from one another.
    Got free books without trying.
    Re-used my towels & bedding, without being asked.


I love it here. I want to come back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, becky....how i wish that you and chrsitie could come to my prom party next weekend. you are both sorely missed.

p.s. i just applied for an awesome job at a university in philly. i really like the idea of public transportation, health benefits, and tuition reimbursement. i also kind of like the idea that me, you, christie and jess would all be working at colleges/universities....that's kind of gay though....

Anonymous said...

ooh, backyard berries? that's wonderful! i never cook with fruit, but barefoot contessa stikes again! another episode i watched this week involved raspberry sauce that looks super easy (if you have a food processor) and yummy. the recipe's "expired" on food tv's website. yay for cached pages. here's the recipe anyway:

1 half-pint package fresh raspberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
1 tablespoon Framboise liqueur

Place the package of raspberries, the granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 4 minutes. Pour the cooked raspberries, the jam, and Framboise into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until smooth. Chill.