7.04.2006

the day off

So here's a photo of the backyard before our work:


And here it is, after:


Doesn't it look nice?

Last night, we went to see Al Gore's feature film which really was very good. It had a lot of accessible information about the situation the earth is in, and he was pretty funny in parts, which was nice to see. Johnny thinks he's going to run for president now, and that the impact of the film will be negated. Either way, you should probably go see it just for the information it imparts. It has already come in handy for a conversation with Johnny's mom.

Speaking of Johnny's mom, she came up to visit for the 4th. It was really nice, we went to lunch and did a little shopping, then we had a project.

We have this currant bush in our yard. It had loads of currants on it, and I have been feeling obligated, for weeks, to do something with them.
Here they are:


Aren't they lovely?

I thought I'd try to make wine, but it is a little complex and you have to wait at least a year before you can drink it so I settled for jelly. Johnny's mom brought down her canner and here is the end result:

It wasn't as hard as I thought, but it was pretty hot work because of all the boiling and what-not. And, after about a half hour of cooling, all the jars sealed. I was a little worried about that. All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone who want to try making their own. Now I have a few extra packets of pectin, so I might need to look for some more fruit to transform.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Currants! Nice work with the yard and the jelly! Hope you had a great 4th.

dj love said...

look out martha stewart, here comes dewey. i don't know what currant jelly tastes like but it looks divine.

you should check out nifa's post on al gore (you know nifa, right?). her blog is: www.nifamatic.blogspot.com
just scroll down, she doesn't post that much. she's real smart and it's interesting what she says about gore.

and by the way, your path looks AMAZING. forget this library stuff, you have a future in landscaping i tell you.

Bevin said...

My momma and I used to make jam together all the time when I was a kid.

DUDE, I lay claim to at least one jar of jam. Your next step is to give the batch a name and label it. The name should include the year of the jam. "Currant Events 2006" is my pick.