7.05.2006

For Catalogers Who Care

I got this link to the RDA prototype and survey from Catalogablog. I went through the prototype (which is a little boring, unsurprisingly) and filled out the survey at the end.

The question I ended up with is, do The Co-Publishers think people want another cataloging utility? It seems like they are trying, at least in part, to create yet another method for people to create catalog records. Has anyone looked at the prototype? Did you think this? I think they should just skip that altogether and focus on making the rules easier to navigate, but maybe I'm being short-sighted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you and your wonderful blog (nice path in that back yard, btw!), I have now looked at the prototype. It's okay, and the worksheets look useful for original cataloging needs. My concerns: right now CatDesktop links AACR2 and MARC and LCRIs. Will RDA be able to link to MARC stuff? and who knows, but will LC start making RIs again (sigh?). With the new RDA interface, RDA doesn't seem like a "flat file" anymore so I wonder what would happen in Cat Desktop, etc.

Thanks so much for pointing this out!