9.17.2006

pow-pow

Saturday I was corralled into volunteering at the Ohio Lez Fest with the promise of free entry. Sony and I showed people where to park for four hours and then we were treated to hours of folk and "women's" music. The food was pretty good though - we went and got a couple of beers and hung out until we got fed up and cold.

Today, though, was an entirely different story -- Scootking's Birthday Paintball Extravaganza!! I'd never paintballed before and I was feeling a little anxious about it. I considered backing out several times due to the following preconceptions:

Notion 1: I will be in the woods being chased by scary people like in that movie where they hunted humans.
But actually... This was not the case. We were split into teams and given clear rules about what we could and could not do, and hunting people was not allowed. Out ref/guide actually said, "I may be a teenager, but I know that the rules are important." We gave him a tip at the end of the day.

Notion 2: Paintballs are the size of a raquetball and splatter housepaint-consistency substance all over your clothes and when you leave your clothing will be all stiff
But actually... The paintballs are quite small (about 1 in. in diameter) and the "paint" is just a yellow greasy goo which (they say) will wash right out.


Notion 3: Paintballs hitting your body will hurt.
I was right on about this. Here's a photo of my leg where I took a couple hits.

Here's the same leg, a few hours later:

See how the bruise is beginning to spread out? It reminds me of some doodles that Johnny likes to draw when she is bored.

Notion 4: I will have some serious reservations about playing with guns and shooting at other humans, especially my friends.
But actually...I liked it. It was fun to hit my friends, especially after I got hit that first time. I was really motivated after that.

I also got to work in a little Rambo-roll-over-behind-a-pile-of-sticks move, which felt pretty exciting. I was all proud because I wasn't even thinking about how dirty I was getting, or whether I was laying on a slug, or whether I had brought lip gloss, or anything like that.

No comments: