1.13.2006

coffee anyone?

To return to the topic of work.

I pointed out my window, but I haven't talked much about the rest of my environment. basically, my office is inside a coffee shop. No, really, it is. Like, if I stand at the door, there is a table with a student studying RIGHT THERE. When I approach my office door, people think I am walking up to their tables to talk to them. It's really weird, actually. Johnny brought me some much-appreciated office decor Thursday and it seemed even more ridiculous when she was walking with me.

Another side-effect of this is that all day my door is shut to help silence some of the chatter. It does not, however, drown out the calls for "Asiago bagel with cream cheese" or "Double vanilla latte" or the popular "Mocha Java with a shot of banana". Yes, someone actually ordered that. ew.

It's not that bad really, I appreciate the background noise. So while I can get a good sense of popular student culture by having this particular office location, I might actually appreciate it when the library starts renovating and I move to a distant warehouse filled with library staff and books that no one will come that far to check out.

To add some photo-glamour to this post, here is a photo of the south half of my office, post- Johnny's recent visit:



Note the fancy IKEA artwork. [Disclaimer: Johnny has provided me with some very cool artwork that is strategically placed in other locations in this very same office, but unfortunately, most of them are not in this photo.]

1 comment:

Bevin said...

I wish I had an office in a coffee shop. I would never stop drinking coffee, though.

Also, I want to see more pics of art courtesy of Johnny. I've worked here for 2 years and have no art/decorations or photographs on my desk. Not very much like me but I don't leave much room for decorations since I am such a clutterbug lawyer anything would just get knocked over.