9.22.2005

I heart maps

I really love maps, and therefore I also love cataloging them. There are 2 map people here, but they also do Arabic, so my lack of language skills may or may not be a welcome break for them.

I was working on these mine maps and they often include the old map techniques which list ranges, section and townships of areas of the rural west. I had called something a range and Map Man was looking things over and kinda gave this haughty sniff and scoffed, "well. that does have sections, but" (here he actually snorted) "not ranges."
Catalogers are such a funny sort. We get all snobbish about our subject specialties (or language specialties) and talk about them in a certain way. I will think of a word to describe it someday.

Also related to work, here is a blurry photo of that weird being that lives in the shrubs outside my window. I think it is a woodchuck.

But don't you think it looks like a prarie dog?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look like a prairie dog!

Catalogers are snobbish-- I totally agree. I think part of our day includes scoffing at a particular library's records that invariably have weird mistakes. I'm sure someone out there is doing the same to mine, though.

Maps!

dewey said...

That is totally true. Maybe I will start a count of how many times people talk about bad recrods or make tagging jokes: "They didn't even include the 007...Ha!"