10.24.2005

Something fishy at the library services company

The setting
Inside a large room, filled with cubicles. Corner area has large grey metal table and dedicated computer for specialized printer.

The cast of characters
    Dewey: map cataloger, eagerly wanting to work but perpetually stymied by large maps and a small workspace
    Bertie: sweet auntie-type, uses specialty printer for majority of day's labours, usually seen wearing a seasonal sweatshirt with a turtleneck. May have had plastic surgery.
    C.G. (computer guy): seems to be the only person able to do anything systems related around here. Drinks lots of coffee.
    Supervisor: it doesn't matter, really. just imagine a stick person with a blank face.


The story

Act I
    Dewey approaches Supervisor to discuss possible options for getting more space to work on the maps, suggesting that she might be willing to use the shipping area computer, due to the convenience of the table.

    Dewey: Um, I totally can't do my work, can I use the computer in the corner?
    Supervisor: Let me look into it.

...weeks pass...
    Supervisor (with the enthusiasm of someone who has a great, original idea): you can use that computer in the corner if you want!
    Dewey: Um, thanks?


Dewey uses computer, but can't print out required information.

Act II
    Bertie (to Dewey): Hon, did you use the computer in the corner? I tried to print out my work, but it just printed records forever. I think it is broken.

Dewey explains situation and apologizes, realizing that she didn't change the default printer.
    Bertie: That's okay, sweetie. I have been wanting to move out of there anyway. Someone always comes and messes with the printer and it just takes forever to get things going again. It makes me so mad! (looks wistfully toward the ceiling) I just wish i knew who it was! Anyhoo, I will get soemone to move the printer so you can use that space.

Bertie contacts her supervisor

...weeks pass...


Act III
    Bertie (to Dewey): Hey youngster. I got my printer moved, so the computer and table are all yours. If anyone asks where it went though, don't tell them, okay?

Dewey nods, actually not knowing where it has gone. Bertie exits. Dewey attempts use of computer, but needs software installed. She contacts C.G.
    C.G.: So, uh, I um got the software [slurp] on there. Uhm, lemme know if [snif] you have any trouble with it.
    Dewey: okay.
    C.G., averting eyes and taking a gulp of coffee: So, um... do you know where Bertie's printer went to?
    Dewey: I don't know. I just know it is gone.


-End-

Is there no honor in humanity? Damn you C.G.!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your play. I hope there will be future installments, maybe a Chris Ware sort of thing? loveydovey