12.07.2005

Ahem.

Johnny and I are going to get committment ceremonied.

Some of you might know that I have a fairly long history of being skeptical of weddings, and of long-term relationships in general. Some of you might also know that Johnny has been asking me to "marry" him about every other day for almost 4 years. At first, I was just saying no, but then i started feeling mean about it. I didn't want to be a jerk, i just didn't want to be married. So, many long conversations and many I-Love-You's-disguised-as-proposals later, I have finally decided that I want to do it. I think it will also act as a validator for our relationship, both for us and for other people--specifically my family. I told my carpooling co-worker that we were going to do it, and the first thing she asked was "Do you guys want to have kids?" At that moment, I realized what a great decision I had made. People don't ask you that unless they know you are in a committed relationship, not even if you have been together for 15 years (which we haven't, by the way).

On the other hand, I told my mom and she said "Oh, cool!" That was it. We fell into a crevasse of silence so I just changed the subject. When I told my sister-in-law, she said, "So you guys are serious then?" Hello? We own a house together. A house. It is big. And we live in it. And it costs a lot of money. My family is awkward but Johnny's family is an entirely different story. I don't know what will happen there.

It probably will be over a year before we actually have it, we haven't chosen a season, much less a date. One thing I know, it will be fun. Maybe we could just not have weird family people there. We could add a clause to the invitation that says, "If you are going to be weird, please stay home." Would that be rude?

Obviously, I will let you know as plans develop.

For now, I am being excited about our New York Trip! Woo! Apparently there are 2 shows, Friday and Saturday, and we are expected to attend both. Maybe by the time we get back there Saturday, Evan and I will be good friends. My goal for the weekend is to address Evan by his first name without giggling or asking for his autograph.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i said it last night, but i'll say it again........congratulations!!!!! i'm excited for you guys!

if you decide to go with more of a traditional ceremony, please consider me for a position as a groomsman. it's been my lifelong dream to be a groomsman in someone's wedding/ceremony.

- j. gordon
p.s. i look good in a tux.......

waterlilysage said...

congratulaaaaations! that's just swell to hear.

Anonymous said...

That's great news! Congratulations!

Bevin said...

I am pretty sure that last night I made my intentions clear insofar as your ceremony is concerned. I am going to be there every step of the way to make it fabulous and outrageous in a classy way.

I am so thrilled I can't even stand it. Perhaps you guys should get knocked up so you can be a bride with a belly? Mortgages say commitment but babies say life sentence...

I can't wait to see the (new) ring!!