12.28.2005

Holiday Light

It has been a while, so here are some Holiday Highlights:

    Johnny's surgery went well. I signed some papers and almost passed out in the recovery area when the nurse tried to tell me about the potential of some drainage from the punctures in her knee. She is now going to physical therapy 2-3 times/week and will probably be off her crutches in a week or so.

    I found out that my new job's insurance doesn't have a pre-existing condition clause, so I don't have to get COBRA or some bull.

    I gave my notice on Friday. I was out that day and the company sent everyone home early, so when I arrived at 4:30, only my supervisor remained. We had a nice talk about it. His response: It's not that surprising. About 1 in 3 people we hire don't work out for some reason.
    Whew, what a relief.

    He sent out a departmental email announcing my departure yesterday. When I arrived today one of my first responders said "How dare you." What? I said, "How dare I get a job I enjoy?" So there.

    Holiday stuff was really fun, and we got to go around and see the various family members. We spent the night in Indiana with Johnny's family on xmas eve rather than drive there twice, and we planned to take Zoey with us, since there isn't a dog-sitter. The morning before we left she decided to chew through the top of a vitamin bottle and eat about 30 or so flax oil capsules. We immediately put her outside and called the vet. They said she'd be okay, but that there might be some diarrhea occuring, so to be on the lookout. As if we'd miss that. She seemed okay, so we loaded up the car around 5 or so and headed out. I had lined the back seat with a tarp and a blanket, in case of such a tragedy, which we thankfully avoided. It was time to eat as soon as we got there, so we went in and everything was fine. Johnny's brother's girlfriend just had a little boy so there was lots of cute baby-ness happening. I went to the car to get the baby's presents and found that Zoey had surreptitiously puked on them. Luckily, we used a not-very-paper-like wrapping and set it in an unwrappable baby-tub so I just cleaned it up.

    As yesterday's grand finale, we went to see The Weatherman for $0.50 movie tuesdays.


Oh my god. I nearly forgot. I totally got to meet Evan Dando, and i did call him Evan to his face. It went like this:

    Johnny's cousin: Dewey this is Evan, Evan, Dewey.

    Me: Evan, nice to meet you.

Like I was going to forget his name or something. Other tidbits:
We shook hands.
He was really just as cute in person as you can imagine.
His wife, mom, sister and cousin were also there, and very nice.
He played Led Zepplin on repeat in the green room and almost left without his iPod.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad that all went well with christie's surgery.

i miss you guys. i wish that we could have spent more time together while you were in nyc.

i also wish that i could come out for new year's eve as previously discussed, but i can't really afford it right now. i need to save as much money as possible right now. i might be moving again within the next three months.

if i don't get a chance to talk to you before then, have a happy new year!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Johnny's surgery went well, and I hope all is going smoothly with the recovery.

Happy New Year to you!