3.02.2006

I need your help!

I have been trying to think of the title of this book for weeks. It is about a family and the mom dies. There are a bunch of kids, and each chapter is told from the perspective of various people in the story. The older boys have to build the mom's coffin and then there is a bunch of rain and they wait a long time to take her to town to bury her and the bridge washes out and they have to take the long way around and her body begins decomposing, but they still keep going. There is at least a little boy, and a young-ish girl who thinks she is prego. It's a great story, but I can't think of the name or the author. I know you all are well-read, so someone must be able to help me, right?

On a less interesting note, does anyone know of a multi-format IM client that can be used on a mac? I use Trillian on my work PC, but it isn't available for mac.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner? I haven't read it but I did a Google search and found this: http://www.pinkmonkey.com/booknotes/barrons/asilayd2.asp

By the way, I did a Google search for all of this--I'm surprised it found anything!: "mother dies children chapter build coffin rain bury decompose"

dewey said...

Yes!!! My faithful RSS subscriber comes through again! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

hhI am so glad you solved this riddle! We have been trying to figure it out for weeks.