3.13.2006

timing is everything

I have a tendency toward efficiency. I mean, maybe I am a little obsessed with it. I am usually considering the most efficient way to go somewhere, to do a list of things, to get ready in the most efficient way. I am also occasionally obsessed with how other people see me.

I was at the gym and had just come from the shower and was getting dressed in the locker room. I had my pants, socks and shoes left to put on. It was pretty quiet in there because it was pouring rain for about 30 minutes, just enough time to get people to cycle out, but not back in. I put on my socks first because I didn't want to stand on the locker room floor with my bare feet. Then, I thought it made the most sense to put on my pants and limit the amount of time that I was less-dressed. Then I had the efficient idea that if I put my shoes just after my pants, while sitting down, then I wouldn't have to sit back down to put my shoes on, and I'd get out of there a few seconds (or fraction of seconds) earlier. I chose not to untie my shoes because I can usually just slide them on without too much trouble.

My occasional obsession kicked in when someone turned the corner and I suddenly realized I was sitting there, wiggling my feet to get into my shoes, towel across my lap, pants down. I must be the queen of good timing.

No comments: