4.19.2006

Allow me to introduce you to...

My latest obsession: Smoothies.

At the coffee shop where I work, people are always yelling out "Very Berry!" or "Strawberry Banana with Whip!" So they are never far from my mind.

The weekend of my birthday 2 things happened to fuel this. Duke mentioned that he usually gets frozen mangoes from Trader Joe's and makes a smoothie in the mornings. Also, as part of my birthday celebration I got a massage, right? Well, while I was there, our fabulous energy worker/massage therapist made a smoothie with some powdered spirulina mix. That, I think, is the moment when I got the fever.

Our food source has been pretty regularly offering us apples and oranges, so I got a blender from Amazon with this gift certificate I got from participating in this health screening at work. I knew it was a good sign when it arrived OVERNIGHT with Super Saver Shipping. Score. We had just gone to the store, where I happened to pick up some frozen fruits and soy protein powder. It also happened that Johny wasn't feeling well at this time, so we had some juice.

Here are some things I have learned in my few weeks of smoothie-in-a-blender experience.

1. Make sure you really peel everything.
2. Don't use any combination of the following: tofu, soy milk, soy protein powder. It takes away from the flavor if you use more than one.
3. Blueberry juice really goes with anything.
4. Don't just peel the orange and throw it in.
5. Don't try to get people who don't like smoothies to drink them. You will be disapointed.

Our recent Shipment included nothing less than Fresh Mangoes. I was so excited. Now, I am drinking this lovely concoction (One mango, one apple, juice of one orange, 1/2 scoop soy protein powder, ice, water)


Yes, that is a short straw. I cut it off for the glass.

5 comments:

Scootking said...

mmmm...they are yummy

Anonymous said...

I love smoothies! especially mango! Strawberry & banana is also very good. I have a stick blender, but after an unfortunate mishap in which I splattered strawberry-blueberry smoothie all over the walls, I am contemplating buying a real blender to full enjoy the smoothie making and consuming. Rock!

dewey said...

I highly recommend it. It is fully worth it.

dewey said...

You'd be surprised at how much I make in tips!

Bevin said...

I only like smoothies if it costs me no labor.

I was thinking this week I could forego my afternoon coffee and instead drink an odwalla. The cost would be the sameish and I would probably be less spazzy. But, then, the sugar high and calories probably outweigh the benefits.