4.28.2006

brush with death

today i went on a tour of the "swing space" where the library will be (for 4 years) while they renovate this building. it's a warehouse. seriously. i don't know how they are going to fit all the books in there. i got to see my office too--it is about the same size, but with much less character, no window overlooking campus, no coffee shop outside the door, but i do get a whiteboard!

next weekend, i am going to NASIG with Jess which is going to be a blast.

lastly, a coworker and i had a proposal accepted for a journal issue to be published in the winter. We were sitting in my office talking about it, and she was rummaging through her purse pulling out her sunglasses, and we were talking about this and that and she reaches into her bag and pulls out..

NAIL CLIPPERS!!

Some of you may know how i feel about this death-tool. The sound of nails being clipped is akin to nails on a chalkboard, or the crunch of a cockroach under my shoe. I really hate it.

As you can imagine, I instantly recoiled. I was in a quandary! We just had this great collaborative discussion, and was I going to make it weird by asking her to put them away? Was I going to have to leave the room? Hide under the table?

She held the clippers up, with an "Aha! I found them" gesture. I literally backed my chair up. She turned the handle part around, preparing for clipping, then...she clipped a string off her purse!

I can't begin to describe how lucky I felt at that moment. I recovered, then told her that if she ever produced clippers in my office again, I would ban her. Well, I did think that, but I just told her about my clipper-fear and she said she had noticed the horror in my eyes, now that I mention it.

that was a close one.

2 comments:

Bevin said...

I feel like there is a new librarian conference as often as they open a new starbucks.

And, I could totally see the horror in your eyes as you told that story.

Scootking said...

Hey
Congrats on the journal thing! Good thing I read about the clippers thing because I am known to clip my nails anywhere but a socially acceptable location (ask Heidi about this)... my front porch, at work, in my car, wherever....

I'll remember not to do it in your presence. As for my idiosyncrisy, make sure you don't leave a wet sponge around me and we'll be good to go!